Write emails, sales copy, speeches and social media posts with the goal of influencing people. Don’t start writing without a plan. Here’s how to tackle your business writing and influence others:
- Decide on your message. What is it that you wish for your readers to do? What message do you want them to receive? Nail down your purpose before you begin writing.
- Know your target audience. Know everything you can about your readers. Why will they care or how might they object? What will they want to hear?
- Include facts. People often need proof or evidence before they will buy in to what you are saying.
- Keep it simple. Write clearly and keep your message brief to ensure that people grasp what you are saying. Don’t be wordy, and break your thoughts into shorter sentences.
- Organize your points. Lay out your ideas in easy-to-absorb formats. Use headers to separate main ideas. List items in bulleted or numbered lists for clarity.
— Adapted from “6 Steps to Influence Others With Your Business Writing,” Michel Theriault, www.forbes.com.