Even though meetings are often informal, they offer you an opportunity to showcase your speaking ability. Don’t miss the chance to shine in front of your boss, teammates and other important people. Follow these tips:
- Be positive. Keep your message upbeat. Don’t spend your time complaining or pointing out problems with ideas or plans. You’ll just annoy everyone in attendance.
- Address everyone. Make eye contact and speak to everyone in the room rather than just focusing your attention on your boss or another senior-level person.
- Don’t do all the talking. Ask questions and listen to others’ feedback to make the meeting more engaging.
- Keep it clear and concise. Make your points succinctly without offering too many details that can better be hashed out later.
- Watch your body language. Be engaging and lean in when you are listening, nod and maintain eye contact.
— Adapted from “8 Ways to Show Speaking Skills in a Meeting,” Jeff Wurio, www.microsoft.com.