1. A recent National Labor Relations Board ruling says employees can legally use ______ to help organize a union.
b. The employer’s email system
c. Threats of bodily harm
2. A new EEOC report says employee claims of discrimination (age, sex, race, etc.) _______ in 2014 compared with the previous year.
c. Stayed the same
3. In an effort to increase productivity, Coca-Cola’s Atlanta headquarters last month decided to pull the plug on:
a. Employee access to Facebook & Twitter
b. Free soft drinks in breakrooms
c. Telephone voice mail
4. What’s America’s most depressing job, in terms of the highest percentage of employees who report being clinically depressed?
a. City bus drivers
b. Social workers
c. Real estate agents
5. Pay increases for HR positions rose an average of 4.1% in 2012 and 3.6% in 2013. What was the average raise for HR in 2014?
6. Employees in which age group are more likely to worry about being laid off?
a. age 18-34
b. age 35-54
c. age 55 and older
Sources: 1. www.theHRSpecialist.com/NLRBemail; 2. EEOC; 3. Bloomberg News; 4. Social Psychiatry journal 5. Towers Watson 2014 survey; 6. Gallup poll
Answers: 1. b 2. b 3. c 4. a 5. a 6. a
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Fire if necessary: Complaining about bias doesn't earn free pass to terrorize co-workers
- Wellness programs: Does your health-risk questionnaire violate the new genetic-bias law?
- Encourage healthy behavior with wellness reminders
- Should your no-smoking policy ban e-cigarettes?