It’s easy to lose focus with everything going on around you. Implement these tips to regain your focus and accomplish more:
- List it out. Get to-dos out of your head and onto paper. That frees up your mind to focus on something else rather than worrying that you might forget to note things. Prioritize your lists and make plans for accomplishing the tasks. Having a plan eases your mind as well.
- Delegate. Delegate less important tasks to others. If they must be completed regularly, have an assistant or another employee handle them.
- Perform creative mind dumps. Don’t just put tasks out on paper, dump ideas too. Set up a OneNote page to type freely about ideas that occupy your mind. Writing them down provides assurance that they won’t be forgotten.
- Control your inbox. Keeping your inbox in check eases your anxiety. Schedule a cleaning session to start fresh and cease becoming overwhelmed every time you open Outlook.
- Review time spent. Mentally go over how you have been spending your time lately. Take a few deep breaths, and reflect on stressful tasks that can be eliminated or handled more efficiently.
— Adapted from “5 Ways to De-Clutter Your Mind and Regain Your Focus,” Janet Choi, www.themuse.com.