When you have to fire an employee, never say, “This is hard for me too.” Even if it was a very difficult decision to terminate the employee and even if the conversation is extremely uncomfortable for you, it will never be as difficult as it is for the employee.
Don’t bring your feelings into the conversation. Instead, keep the focus on the employee.
— Adapted from “Foolish Things Bosses Say When They Fire People,” Jeff Haden, www.LinkedIn.com.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Justified firing doesn't mean employee can't show harassment
- Check the fine print on legal-liability insurance
- Fired disabled worker receives $40K from American Apparel
- What's an ADA disability?.... And nine more questions you'd better be able to answer