Use these tips to build a referral program that will bring you top candidates:
- Target requests. Aim your requests at employees who are most likely to be able to bring you the types of candidates you are looking for. Adjust your focus with each specific position.
- Send a referral card. Include details about why you feel the person is a good fit to make him or her feel special.
- Investigate work history. Research current employees’ backgrounds and engage those who have connections in competing organizations.
- Look beyond employees. Retirees, spouses, vendors and clients may know ideal candidates.
- Hold targeted events. Gather teams to review job descriptions and brainstorm people to target.
— Adapted from “Expert Advice for an Effective Employee Referral Program,” Andrew Greenberg, www.recruitingdivision.com.