If you want to be effective, when you delegate can be as important as what you delegate. Follow this advice to time your directions just right.
Don’t delegate work:
- The minute someone gets to work.
- Right before lunch.
- After an argument has just concluded.
- When the other person is overwhelmed or distracted.
- You aren’t prepared.
Do delegate work when:
- The employee is calm and relaxed.
- You have the person’s attention.
- Delaying could result in serious consequences.
- You are prepared to walk the person through the assignment.