Are you ready to kick your career up a notch this year? Cultivating these five essential skills can help ensure your success in 2017.
As an admin, you’re the kind of person everyone’s always looking to for help. You’re the “go-to” person to fix problems, answer questions and accomplish things in the office. You have a number of diverse responsibilities that keep you on your toes at all times. Fortunately, we’re recognizing you for all of your hard work and effort in the workplace by giving you gifts during Administrative Professionals Week. Sign up to receive them.
1. Tech savvy. The more comfortable and familiar you are with the latest technology, the more indispensable you will be, says career coach Dele Lowman Smith. Take classes and stay abreast of the latest updates to software and apps you use so that your tech skills stay fresh.
2. Finesse in interpersonal interactions. As the gatekeeper, you’ll need to play well with others who want access to your boss, says career advisor Laura Gmeinder. “Don’t play favorites,” she says. This goes for people you work with outside of the office, such as vendors or clients, as well. “Relationships are currency in the business world, and being able to make things happen with just a phone call to the right person will make you invaluable to your boss and your colleagues,” Smith says.
3. Discretion. “Confidentiality is essential,” Gmeinder says. Look back over the past year and ask yourself if there were any occasions when you passed on information that should have stayed with you—or alternately, kept silent when speaking up would have been better.
We have a full lineup of great gifts to give you every day during this special event! These giveaways are must-have resources to help you strengthen the skills you need to thrive as an admin. Don’t miss your chance to register to get these FREE resources.
4. Multitasking. Administrative professionals need to be comfortable multitasking on several high priority items at the same time with frequent interruptions, says Gmeinder. Are your skills up to task? If you need help, look for ways to improve your organizational expertise, whether it’s with productivity apps, training on time management or other skills. “In your support role, it is essential to help keep operations running smoothly,” Smith says. “Being able to track and manage resources and information effectively makes everyone else’s jobs easier.”
5. Mind-reading. Being an administrative professional often feels like it requires super powers, and staying one step ahead of what others need will continue to be important in 2015. Arlene Vernon, CEO of HRx, says it’s important for administration professionals to understand the needs of the people they support and address them before being asked.
Admins are the unsung heroes of the workplace — the glue that holds an office together. You’ll finally get the recognition you deserve for all of your efforts at work during Administrative Professionals Week. With our giveaways on essential topics like office technology, business etiquette and project management, you’re sure to sharpen the skills that you need to perform your job at your absolute best, impress your boss and colleagues — and even get a promotion. Sign up to get on the list to receive our FREE goodies during Administrative Professionals Week.