A former New York Police Department officer of mixed-race ancestry is accusing the department of tolerating racial bias, alleging that co-workers on the NYPD’s elite scuba diving team harassed him.
The retired officer claims co-workers taunted him and expressed disbelief that a black man could swim. The former police diver, who surfs in his spare time, also alleges that co-workers referred to him as a transsexual because he paints his toenails. Painted toenails are common in the surfer subculture.
He claims the abuse came from both co-workers and supervisors. His suit seeks more than $2 million.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Tab tops $60,000 in firing of pregnant bartender
- Co-worker complaints not enough to establish accommodation hardship
- EEOC sues Houston firm over mandatory retirement
- Loose-Lips Alert: Train managers and supervisors that press comments carry weight