What kind of job candidate do you seem like on social media? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

What kind of job candidate do you seem like on social media?

Question: "I'm starting to read that in addition to having a good résumé when you're looking for a job, it's becoming important to have a solid 'social media presence.' I'm sure that by now hiring managers are taking a look at whatever they can find out about us online—but how do I build this 'presence' when I haven't really had one before and need to start looking for a job in January?" - Eva, Transcription Editor

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Samantha Pell December 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

I agree that LinkedIn is the only thing you should concentrate on. Share articles there, answer other people’s questions if you can, join interesting groups that relate to the fields you’re applying for, and ask to connect with people you really know well.

Tom Freemore November 24, 2014 at 7:14 am

I can tell you that my company is totally obsessed with LinkedIn and it’s the first place they go when they get a resume. You need to make a good amount of LinkedIn connections, at least 20 or so. It’s not hard, just start connecting with everyone you ever worked with. It’s pretty much accepted behavior! And make sure every social media timeline you have is clean of negativity–don’t cry about issues in the news, don’t get into tiffs with other users, don’t be needy or pushy. That’s a huge turnoff to employers.

Theresa Kasel November 21, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Lisa – !! has it exactly right.

For your job search, you want to develop a strong LinkedIn profile. I’m job hunting right now and sometimes you can use your LinkedIn profile to apply — which you may or may not want to do. A lot depends on how much detail you put for your past work.

I would also suggest asking people that you are connected with to make recommendations for you on LinkedIn. You can do the same for others.

You can follow companies that you are interested in on LinkedIn.

Knowing who in your network knows someone at another company could be very valuable if a position at that company opens up.

Anyone with a Facebook profile who is job hunting, needs to have their Facebook profile set as privately as possible — so only people who are your friends can see what you post.

The only time you would have a public Facebook page, would be if you are self-employed and using Facebook to market your business. That would also be business page that you post information related to your business and industry.

Jackqueline November 20, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Social Media is here to stay however we can use it to our own advantage. If you don’t have any SM accounts then simply create one, I would only create one on for example LinkedIn were you can put has must ‘professional’ as you require. I wouldn’t go creating a Facebook page if you don’t have one and don’t need one then don’t create one there is nothing more ‘suss’ then an empty FB page.

L November 20, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Thank you Eva for posting your question because I, too, would like to know more about this. I am a baby boomer who dislikes social media, but at the same time I realize how important it has become in today’s world.

Looking forward to reading all of the responses.

Lisa - !! November 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Eva, great question! If you are on Facebook, Twitter, etc., be sure to keep everything private including your friends, photos and posts. You don’t want a potential employer to know anything about your private life that might sway their hiring to another person. I believe the “social media presence” articles that you are looking at refer to LinkedIn which is a great tool to have. LinkedIn is the only social media presence that you should use for work.