Many baby boomers are delaying retirement. Some need the cash, but many love their work and don’t want to let go. So why should they reconsider?
Because jumping ship “early” could be the best way to remain healthy, happy and productive.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I doing the same thing over and over again, and maybe not as well each time?
- Am I afraid to let go—and not just because of the money?
- Do the best and brightest staffers want to work with me, or do they see better opportunities elsewhere?
- Am I still learning?
- Am I more interested in philanthropy or other pursuits?
- Is there a possibility that I may be forced out?
— Adapted from “The Case for Quitting Your Job,” Anne Tergesen, The Wall Street Journal.