by Julie Giddings, Esq., Gray Plant Mooty, Minneapolis
If you’re an Amazon Prime member or you’ve shopped online at Amazon lately, you’ve probably heard that Amazon launched a new TV series recently, “Transparent,” about a 70-year-old divorced father who announces to his children that he intends to transition from a man to a woman.
The series is getting rave reviews and comes at a time of increased societal and legal focus on the rights of transgender individuals.
Indeed, just before the launch of “Transparent,” the EEOC filed its first-ever lawsuits alleging sex discrimination against transgender individuals.
Based on sexual harassment law
The commission is working within existing legal precedents by focusing on sex discrimination as the basis for the lawsuits rather than waiting for Congress to pass new employment discrimination laws protecting the transgendered and other groups from employer discrimination.
The argument i...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- State police officer wins $340,000 judgment in retaliation lawsuit
- EEOC can't sue over nationwide discrimination unless it first investigates
- Did old rap sheet lead to firing and another appearance in court?
- NYC human rights commission recognizes 31 genders