From claiming they need the day to fix botched plastic surgery to saying they accidentally boarded a plane, America’s workers have had some sitcom-worthy misadventures this year … or they’ve simply gotten more creative with their sick day excuses.
As has become an annual tradition, CareerBuilder.com asked more than 2,000 bosses to share their employees’ most dubious excuses for calling in sick. Hilarity ensued, complete with assertions that an employee missed work because he or she:
- Needed to “tweak” some plastic surgery “to get it just right”
- Had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning
- Woke up in a good mood and didn’t want to ruin it
- Got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out
- Accidentally got on a plane
- Tried to dry a work uniform in the microwave, causing it to burst into flames.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Crack down on association discrimination before it lands you in court
- Georgia Child Labor Law
- No policies, no job descriptions, no training: A case study in how not to hire & promote
- Alert bosses: Email can and will be used against you in court