Do you type two spaces after a period? If so, your résumé may be destined for the wastebasket. According to career counselor Marc Miller, adding that extra space is a résumé mistake that brands an applicant as Too Old.
”I am going to go out a limb and declare that putting two spaces after a period is obsolete,” Miller wrote in a LinkedIn article. “It is how most of us were taught to type on a typewriter. Therefore, most of us who do this … are over 50 years of age.”
Other résumé flubs that may flag older candidates: including a mailing address (just provide your email addy instead) and listing a home phone number (“Who under 45 years of age still has a home phone?”).
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Management's independent review trumps supervisor's hidden discrimination
- One-Time pay penalty can't be challenged years later
- Workplace in turmoil? Here's how to know where to start cleaning house
- Rework your severance plan: More prospective employees seeking this safety net