Costco is facing an EEOC lawsuit for allegedly failing to take steps to protect one of its female employees from the unwelcome advances of one of its customers. The suit said thatat the Greenville, Ill., store said they would monitor the situation, but to no avail. The situation persisted and the employee complained to the police. Costco management allegedly yelled at her and told her to be friendly to the customer.
The lesson: Employers have a duty to protect its employees from harassment, regardless where it comes from.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- What's our legal defense? Working here would be dangerous for ill applicant
- Class-action lawyer to see how it looks from the other side
- Words matter at work: Is 'fitting in' code for bias?
- Don't use weight as an excuse not to hire, no matter the cost