Adding videos to PowerPoint: Have you tried it? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Adding videos to PowerPoint: Have you tried it?

Question: "I'm tempted to spruce up a PowerPoint presentation by adding some video. Before I try to learn the actual steps on how to do it, I'd like to know what other admins' experiences have been with trying this—is it going to be too much headache for too little payoff, or is it easier than I think?" - Michelle, Administrative Assistant III

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Susan October 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Incorporating video into a PowerPoint is not difficult. It can often lend credibility such as, watching a time-lapse of the polar caps shrinking over the past fifty years however, when used without a direct focus/relevance it tends to be distracting.

Grady October 3, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I agree that slide animations are a good middle ground if you don’t want to go full video. Overall, I’m still not sold on videos in PowerPoint presentations because a good speaker can usually communicate that information faster and better. Breaking things off for a video makes the pacing awkward and it can seem like the speaker is admitting the video is more interesting than he is!

Cecilia October 15, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I can understand your viewpoint, but in my industry (electric utility), videos can often convey what a speaker and/or a still photo cannot. I’m referring to safety issues. We have monthly safety meetings that often include videos that typically elicit strong reactions because employees are able to watch an unsafe event as it unfolds. Often, we hear them saying “Remember that video that Joe showed where the guy was in the bucket truck and he did such-and-such? I thought of that today when I was working and found myself in a similar situation.” If videos in presentations help to get my guys home safely every night, I’m all for it!

Kathy October 3, 2014 at 9:02 am

You might also consider hyperlinking videos into the slides, assuming you have WiFi or your regular internet service available during the presentation. We’e fortunate to receive a lot of good products from our national organization, and often hyperlink them into PowerPoint. You could just as easily pull something off YouTube.

Lynn October 3, 2014 at 8:03 am

Michelle,
I recently have been required to use Powerpoint much more than I ever had to in the past. Let me start by saying video, when it illustrates a point in the main presentation, adds a lot to making the presentation look much more polished. Adding video is surprisingly simple. I have also discovered that adding in different slide animations (the way a slide begins to appear as they change) also gives the overall impression of long-time professionalism.
Best of luck in your presentation!

Theresa Kasel October 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I did a PowerPoint that was set up to act like the game “Wheel of Fortune.” It was a lot of work but did exactly what the presenter wanted — added a fun element to a presentation. (I think he gave mini candy bars out for correct guesses.)

The video needs to add and/or help present the message of the presentation. Not just be there for something “cute” to see.

I think it’s worth it and anything you did the first time will take a bit longer. But if done right, you will have a new skill and better presentations.