According to the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, which tracks gay-rights issues in the workplace, more than a fifth of U.S. workers will be covered by the Department of Labor’s Aug. 19 announcement that it will interpret prohibitions on sex discrimination in a recent Obama administration executive order to include discrimination based on gender identity and transgender status.
The institute says that means federal contractors must train workers and managers to avoid bias against transgender applicants and employees.
Read the latest guidance from the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Document solid business rationale for all salary increases and cuts
- Courts limit punitive damages in discrimination cases
- Intentional bias can spur court to install applicant into job.
- Employees who sue and lose are now more likely liable for court costs