You know this already: It takes confidence to advance. You also know that self-confidence can be hard to hang onto. Luckily, you can learn to feel confident:
1. When in doubt, fake it.
2. Add to your abilities every day.
3. Focus on others. Self-consciousness is a waste of energy.
4. Find and develop mentors.
5. Make sure your self-talk is positive.
6. Walk away from negative people. Constructive criticism is good, with the focus on “constructive.”
7. Take care of yourself. Sleep enough. Move enough. Eat your veggies.
8. Stay informed. It’s the only way you’ll catch big trends.
9. Dress and act like a leader.
10. Express your gratitude every day.
— Adapted from “10 Steps to Executive-Level Confidence,” Becky Blalock, The Wall Street Journal.