Was your favorite day at work because of the job, or the people? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Was your favorite day at work because of the job, or the people?

Question: "When I think about my best days at work, they always seem to have been about something unusual or fun I experienced with my co-workers instead of the actual job. I wonder how many admins this is true of?" - Jennifer, Public Works Admin

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Jenni August 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I am a secretary at a high school, so my best days are absolutely the people! Our kids are so much fun! If they tell me I’m the “bomb-dot-com” or come by my desk to say hi (or more likely to get out of class) they make my day. And when graduation comes together (my biggest annual project!) and everyone is outside taking pictures afterward the stress melts away; the parents are teary and grateful, and our students usually surprise us with kind words and hugs. All those rotten days just seem to be forgotten.

Sharon August 7, 2014 at 11:45 am

People matter whether it is the people I work with or the people I help through my job. Real people working in a real world being themselves, cutting each other slack over minor issues, offering support, strengthening the team, building individuals and good ideas up instead of tearing things and people down can transform each day into a memorable week. People working together instead of apart from each other can really produce great ideas that motivate and transform the workplace. Transform the workplace and the possibility to change the world at large is within reach.

People willing to laugh during the toughest task to keep motivated until the job is done can really make each day memorably great.

Whenever I see or hear of someone doing the right thing for the right reason, it makes my day. Aren’t we all learning each day to focus on the positive over the negative. It is up to each of us individually whether we have a good day or a bad day no matter our circumstances.

Some of my most trying days have been my best days because I looked for and found the good in the day.

Today my boss sent employees an email that can only be compared to an inspirational movie but it happened here and now in real life. When leadership really leads, there has to be a trickle down and a ripple outward. Today’s email made my day and I thanked him for doing a great job! Sometimes nobody gives the boss feedback when they’ve done something really well. As long as communication is genuine, it is not “kissing up”. We are real people working together in a real word. Let’s keep faces on people and find the good in each other whenever we can.

I know it is really cliche to say there is light at the end of the tunnel; but there really is. Sometimes it can only be found when you look for it and that sometimes requires a refocus.

Tom Freemore August 4, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I would normally say that it’s the people I think about most–except the very best day for me was still the one several weeks after our team completed a huge six-month project that no one thought would work, and which we were totally baffled about in the beginning. The whole learning process, and helping to construct that database which made things easier for so many people, paid off on the day we found out the number of how many co-workers were using it regularly. That was so cool, and it really made me feel like I was making some sort of difference.

Pam August 1, 2014 at 9:12 am

I work with developmental disabled adults – every day is different. Most days they make me smile with the wonderful outlook they seem to have on life. Other days they make me cry because their loving personalities touch my heart. Either way, it is definitely the people who make my worst days better and my best days amazing.

Cindy July 31, 2014 at 6:41 pm

My favorite days at work are because of the people. As an Admin. Asst. at a church, the job is a lot different than most businesses, and the people who come in are usually very nice & supportive. I actually get paid to talk and visit with people! It was quite a shock when I realized that was my job, rather than not talking to people and keeping my nose to the grindstone (although I have plenty of that too).

Jean July 31, 2014 at 4:13 pm

My favorite days are because of people. I believe that excellence and success in my job is not only due to my personal merit but because of teamwork and great relationships. Therefore, when tasks and projects are completed, everybody who contributed to the work feels good.