Atlanta area employees of Wausau Insurance have developed an “Adopt-a-Soldier” program to support U.S. soldiers in Iraq. Wausau underwriter Chris Yates conceived the idea after attending the funeral of a friend killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq in the fall of 2006.
Yates divided the Alpharetta office into 12 teams, each responsible for sending a care package during one month of the year. The packages all go to one soldier and his platoon. The soldiers communicate with Wausau employees through letters and photo e-mails, which are displayed on an office bulletin board.
- Crisis management: Set smart policy before disaster strikes
- Consider all options: When co-worker harasses, termination isn't the only way to avoid liability
- 12 steps you can take to create a happier workforce
- Act fast and fairly to investigate when employee complains of hostile work environment
- The HR I.Q. Test: November '12