Employees of Washington, D.C.-area companies that made The Washington Post’s inaugural list of the area’s top workplaces are apparently very well fed. Amid the medical, vacation and flex benefits cited by employees of the top firms are a huge number of perks involving company-supplied food. Examples:
• Digital marketing firm Fishbowl in Alexandria, Va., shuttles its employees to restaurants at lunchtime so they can eat on the D.C. suburb’s trendiest street.
• CustomInk, an online clothing designer in Fairfax, Va., has a frozen yogurt machine in the office and serves a “PM Pick-up” snack every afternoon.
• An annual Tech Chef contest at technology and data firm DMI in Bethesda, Md., allows teams of employees to showcase their cooking skills. Winners take home grills.
• Architectural firm Gensler hosts a farmer’s market once a month in the summer so employees can buy fresh produce without leaving the office.
• An espresso bar on the first day of work of the New Year welcomed employees of law firm Kelley Drye & Warren back to work.
• Employees of the Share Our Strength food and nutrition charity showcase their baking skills in monthly “Bakolutions” celebrations.