While federal immigration reform remains in limbo, several Michigan lawmakers have proposed a package of bills that would crack down on companies that hire illegal immigrants.
The laws would make it a felony to knowingly hire an illegal worker and fine violators up to $250,000, with jail sentences for repeat offenders. Michigan workers also would be able to sue companies that replaced them with undocumented workers.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Independent contractor or employee? How to make the call
- Operate in several states? Beware arbitration pacts referencing states other than California
- Columbus offers one-time waiver for late WC premium penalties
- Issued: Proposed rules for reporting contractor compensation