While federal immigration reform remains in limbo, several Michigan lawmakers have proposed a package of bills that would crack down on companies that hire illegal immigrants.
The laws would make it a felony to knowingly hire an illegal worker and fine violators up to $250,000, with jail sentences for repeat offenders. Michigan workers also would be able to sue companies that replaced them with undocumented workers.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Are we legally required to offer performance improvement plans and last-chance warnings?
- Will Isiah Thomas verdict open sex harassment floodgates?
- If you agree to a late return date, extend employees' reinstatement date, too
- New study turns up heat on child labor compliance