While federal immigration reform remains in limbo, several Michigan lawmakers have proposed a package of bills that would crack down on companies that hire illegal immigrants.
The laws would make it a felony to knowingly hire an illegal worker and fine violators up to $250,000, with jail sentences for repeat offenders. Michigan workers also would be able to sue companies that replaced them with undocumented workers.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employee wants an ergonomic desk: Does ADA require that we provide it?
- Don't break severance promise, you may be personally liable
- Fighting fire with fire: Is it wise to countersue?
- Case settled with EEOC? Don't cave when employee tries to revive parts of the deal