While federal immigration reform remains in limbo, several Michigan lawmakers have proposed a package of bills that would crack down on companies that hire illegal immigrants.
The laws would make it a felony to knowingly hire an illegal worker and fine violators up to $250,000, with jail sentences for repeat offenders. Michigan workers also would be able to sue companies that replaced them with undocumented workers.
- Lancaster nurse fired after refusing influenza vaccine
- State Supreme Court to rule on mandatory judicial retirements
- Cintas reaches settlement in employee's accidental death
- Your best bet for preventing lawsuits: Prompt action, unimpeachable fairness
- Beware 'aggravated misconduct' firings--unemployment benefits hang in the balance