When you’re pressed for time and need to learn fast, where do you click?

Question: "I think I might be wasting time when I need to learn something specific about Excel, Word, SharePoint or any other software in a hurry. I have a few websites bookmarked, but I'd like to know if there are some really great ones out there that will teach me procedures fast. Can it be that YouTube is the first place people go nowadays for quick computer training?" - Shea, Academic Transcriptionist

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Theresa Kasel July 13, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Don’t forget that all Microsoft software has a built-in help feature that tells you how to use almost all features — just press F1 and search for the task you need help with. I’ve found the steps easy to follow and it opens in a separate window so you can have the steps visible on one side of the screen while you perform that task on the other side.

If you find a site that you find useful — bookmark it so you can always go back to it.

Sandi July 18, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I have never, not one single time, in my entire life found the ‘help’ button helpful. I ask for something specific and it throws out things that do not pertain in any way whatsoever. I think that button should be removed completely. I think it’s worthless.

Sara July 11, 2014 at 8:34 am

I use that old standby Google almost exclusively. The more precise you can get with your terminology the better.

Also, once I’ve found an answer I keep it in a file that lives on my desktop: “How I did that.” That way, 6 months or a year from now that little used piece of info is at my fingertips.

JoAnn Paules July 11, 2014 at 8:07 am

YouTube is a good start but not all subject matter experts use videos as tutorials. There is no one-stop site for learning something new. Even within a specific application you will find that some sites are better than others. For example, some sites specialize in VBA and others in Excel dashboards. Each of us are more skilled in one aspect over another and so are the folks who maintain those helpful sites. My suggestion would be to bookmark your favorites and store them in program specific folders for easy access.

Janis July 10, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I do the same as Anita stated above. However, when I have a few minutes to spare, the following link is for Office 15 Minute Webinars. They have 15 minute training tips on Office products. You can sign up to join the webinars and the best part is they are free. You can also look in the archive to view subjects you might be interested in. The link is: http://aka.ms/offweb. Enjoy.

Anita July 10, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Hi Shea, when I need to refresh my memory for a task that hasn’t been used in a while, I usually type directly in the web browser something like “Excel record a macro” and the results usually take you to the Microsoft tutorial for recording and using macros. These can be saved on your browser as favorites for faster access later or can be downloaded for deeper review when the time is more convenient.