When illness strikes a family member, worry and stress can hurt job performance. Xerox helps employees manage complex diagnoses with a patient advocacy program.
Employees who use the company’s Health Systems(HSM) program can get information about conditions, specialists, hospitals and treatment options for relatives or themselves.
Xerox had used the HSM program on an ad hoc basis until July 2006, when the company began offering it to all employees. “We don’t know everyone who has a problem, [so] we need to make this broadly available for all employees,” Benefits Director Larry Becker says. In its first six months, HSM got calls from roughly 2% of Xerox’s 24,800 U.S. employees.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Review duties, update job descriptions yearly to ensure employees are properly classified
- How employers can respond to increasingly stressed workers
- Age discrimination alert: Beware using high training costs as excuse to deny promotion
- Use media to boost the organization's stature (and yours)