When illness strikes a family member, worry and stress can hurt job performance. Xerox helps employees manage complex diagnoses with a patient advocacy program.
Employees who use the company’s Health Systems(HSM) program can get information about conditions, specialists, hospitals and treatment options for relatives or themselves.
Xerox had used the HSM program on an ad hoc basis until July 2006, when the company began offering it to all employees. “We don’t know everyone who has a problem, [so] we need to make this broadly available for all employees,” Benefits Director Larry Becker says. In its first six months, HSM got calls from roughly 2% of Xerox’s 24,800 U.S. employees.
- Taming the shrews: How to counsel admins with attitude
- Manager's Checkup: Dealing with workplace grief
- Preparing your workplace for a possible H1N1 flu pandemic
- Prevent 'Survivor syndrome': Avoid turnover after layoffs
- Taming the paper monster: 3 tips for organizing files, records retention and email management