When illness strikes a family member, worry and stress can hurt job performance. Xerox helps employees manage complex diagnoses with a patient advocacy program.
Employees who use the company’s Health Systems(HSM) program can get information about conditions, specialists, hospitals and treatment options for relatives or themselves.
Xerox had used the HSM program on an ad hoc basis until July 2006, when the company began offering it to all employees. “We don’t know everyone who has a problem, [so] we need to make this broadly available for all employees,” Benefits Director Larry Becker says. In its first six months, HSM got calls from roughly 2% of Xerox’s 24,800 U.S. employees.
- Get ahead by drafting your own 'career annual report'
- Who to promote? 5 qualities to seek
- You're not a doctor! Don't restrict pregnant employee's work unless her physician says so
- When technological change means jobs are changing too, document the training you offer
- You have the go-ahead: Fire employee if you discover problems during FMLA leave