1. The National Labor Relations Board is considering whether to make this company policy an “unfair labor practice”:
a. No swearing in the workplace
b. No beards on male employees
c. No use of company email for personal reasons
2. When it comes to flexible scheduling, managers tend to believe that employees who choose to start work __________are better overall employees.
a. Early in the morning
b. Later in the morning
c. About noon
3. A new study says workplace meetings run, on average, 34% shorter when participants …
a. Are not allowed to bring their cellphones
b. Stand during the meeting
c. Are limited to speaking no more than 100 words
4. Employees and students tend to retain their training better when they:
a. Watch the correct behavior in a video
b. Write down by hand the lessons learned
c. Take their mind to a “happy place” before learning
5. What do blue-collar workers say are the top two shortcomings (in order) of their work environments?
a. Physical exhaustion, injury risks
b. Less career mobility, physical exhaustion
c. Injury risks, little recognition
6. What percentage of U.S. employers say they still prefer to receive applicant résumés via postal mail?
Sources: 1. TheHRSpecialist.com/nlrbemail; 2. University of Washington Foster School study; 3. University of Missouri study; 4. Princeton/University of California study; 5. CareerBuilder.com survey; 6. Society for Human Resourcesurvey.
Answers: 1. c 2. a 3. b 4. b 5. a 6. c
- Carrot or stick? Motivating managers to finish reviews
- The 10 Employment Laws Every Manager Should Know
- 'Keep this private' may be unlawful request during internal investigations
- Using the Supreme Court's model to prevent employment lawsuits
- HR pro on trial: 'Cat's paw' individual liability under Section 1981