1. The National Labor Relations Board is considering whether to make this company policy an “unfair labor practice”:
a. No swearing in the workplace
b. No beards on male employees
c. No use of company email for personal reasons
2. When it comes to flexible scheduling, managers tend to believe that employees who choose to start work __________are better overall employees.
a. Early in the morning
b. Later in the morning
c. About noon
3. A new study says workplace meetings run, on average, 34% shorter when participants …
a. Are not allowed to bring their cellphones
b. Stand during the meeting
c. Are limited to speaking no more than 100 words
4. Employees and students tend to retain their training better when they:
a. Watch the correct behavior in a video
b. Write down by hand the lessons learned
c. Take their mind to a “happy place” before learning
5. What do blue-collar workers say are the top two shortcomings (in order) of their work environments?
a. Physical exhaustion, injury risks
b. Less career mobility, physical exhaustion
c. Injury risks, little recognition
6. What percentage of U.S. employers say they still prefer to receive applicant résumés via postal mail?
Sources: 1. TheHRSpecialist.com/nlrbemail; 2. University of Washington Foster School study; 3. University of Missouri study; 4. Princeton/University of California study; 5. CareerBuilder.com survey; 6. Society for Human Resourcesurvey.
Answers: 1. c 2. a 3. b 4. b 5. a 6. c
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 8 ways to help employees cut their own health care costs
- Launching an alternative dispute-resolution program: 6 steps
- Safety focus drives Ford's onboarding for hourly workers
- Don't pile on reasons for firing; you're spoiling for retaliation fight in court