The White House announced June 16 that President Obama will soon issue an executive order that bans federal contractors from discriminating in hiring, firing, compensation or work conditions based on a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. This won’t affect almost half of federal contractors because 21 states already prohibit sexual-orientation discrimination at all workplaces.
Legislation to ban gay discrimination on a national level—the Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA)—passed the Senate last year but stalled in the House.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Put a stop to harassment ASAP--fast action now prevents liability even years later
- Hiring employees through visa programs? Make sure you consider both sexes
- Similar jobs with different pay may be EPA trap
- Good ol' boy network could cost you millions