The White House announced June 16 that President Obama will soon issue an executive order that bans federal contractors from discriminating in hiring, firing, compensation or work conditions based on a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. This won’t affect almost half of federal contractors because 21 states already prohibit sexual-orientation discrimination at all workplaces.
Legislation to ban gay discrimination on a national level—the Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA)—passed the Senate last year but stalled in the House.
- Just got served with court papers? It's OK to impose already-Planned discipline
- Be prepared to root out hidden harassment: EEOC files a whopper against Burger King
- Beware! Off-duty harassment may still be your problem
- Tell managers: Don't require employees to speak English
- FLSA: Exempt vs. Nonexempt Workers