The White House announced June 16 that President Obama will soon issue an executive order that bans federal contractors from discriminating in hiring, firing, compensation or work conditions based on a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. This won’t affect almost half of federal contractors because 21 states already prohibit sexual-orientation discrimination at all workplaces.
Legislation to ban gay discrimination on a national level—the Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA)—passed the Senate last year but stalled in the House.
- EEOC Lawsuit Says Norfolk Southern Discriminated Against Female Worker
- Consistent policy, smart response get you off the hook for retaliation
- Know your legal responsibilities for preventing retaliation
- Workplace stats can help disprove discrimination intent
- Ignore harassment at your peril: It could embolden harasser and end in disaster