The White House announced June 16 that President Obama will soon issue an executive order that bans federal contractors from discriminating in hiring, firing, compensation or work conditions based on a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. This won’t affect almost half of federal contractors because 21 states already prohibit sexual-orientation discrimination at all workplaces.
Legislation to ban gay discrimination on a national level—the Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA)—passed the Senate last year but stalled in the House.
- You can demand a mental exam if you're sued for emotional damage
- Pigeonholing employees' race can be tricky … and risky
- How to Respond to an EEOC Complaint: 10 Steps to Success
- Focus on behavior, not possible disability when disciplining employees
- Consider consulting an attorney before stating why you terminated an employee