Employees who made early withdrawals from their 401(k) retirement savings plans paid $5.7 billion in penalties to the IRS in 2011, the most recent year for which data are available.
With the standard 10% IRS bite on early withdrawals, that means Americans dipped into their 401(k)s early to the tune of roughly $57 billion in 2010.
- Obama budget: DOL to boost enforcement, IC crackdown
- Strict attendance policy is fine if followed consistently
- Save money upon termination by including 'use it or lose it' leave policy in handbook
- 'Sweeping' changes in store for HR & employers
- Take 10: How to handle the California Labor Code mandate to provide midshift breaks