Employees who made early withdrawals from their 401(k) retirement savings plans paid $5.7 billion in penalties to the IRS in 2011, the most recent year for which data are available.
With the standard 10% IRS bite on early withdrawals, that means Americans dipped into their 401(k)s early to the tune of roughly $57 billion in 2010.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Majority of Americans say they're paid fairly
- Good intentions don't matter: You'll pay if you compensate men and women differently
- Must we pay for our employees' uniforms?
- What are the rules for compensating nonexempts for overnight travel?