Employees who made early withdrawals from their 401(k) retirement savings plans paid $5.7 billion in penalties to the IRS in 2011, the most recent year for which data are available.
With the standard 10% IRS bite on early withdrawals, that means Americans dipped into their 401(k)s early to the tune of roughly $57 billion in 2010.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- What kinds of employers does the Illinois Employee Classification Act cover?
- IRS proposes rules to help retirees make their 401(k) funds last longer
- Stillwater, Okla. restaurant adds 'minimum wage fee' to checks
- Check your pay rates! Obvious male/female disparity is probably 'willful' discrimination