Chances are you’re looking to grow at work and earn a promotion. You may also be wondering what you can do to increase the chances you’ll be able to advance in your career. MonsterWorking’s Hannah Hamilton spoke to career experts who offered the following five tips.
- Identify a mentor. Find someone in your area who’s been in your position and learn how she moved up and what you should do to follow in her footsteps.
- Put yourself out there. Determine where you want to go in your company or industry and start networking and building relationships with influential people who can help you along your path. Invite people out for coffee or and make sure they know about your aspirations.
- Offer to help out. Lending a hand and going above and beyond your job description is a surefire way to get noticed. Take on new tasks, learn new skills, and ask to sit in on meetings. You’ll pick up useful information and be exposed to more people around the office.
- Make yourself an expert. Pick a skill and become the best at it. This could be public speaking, creating Excel spreadsheets, using social media or doing something very specific to your industry. Whatever you choose, become an expert and you’ll be the go-to person any time that skill is needed. Higher ups will take note.
- Show some humility. You won’t get ahead by complaining about where you are now. Be grateful you have a job and do your best at it. Remember, even the worst job can be a valuable learning opportunity.
— Adapted from “How to Move Up the Ranks as an Admin,” Hannah Hamilton, MonsterWorking.