What have you been using OneNote for? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

What have you been using OneNote for?

Question: "I have been hearing a lot about OneNote in Microsoft Office. I am curious if anyone has ever used it, and to what degree they did. If they did use it, did they find it helpful or beneficial?" - Maggie, Administrative Assistant

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Pauline S May 30, 2014 at 9:39 am

Does anyone know of a helpful site for a One Note beginners tutorial? Everytime I write a “To Do List,” I use a new notepad. Whenever I search for a grammar tip or shortcut, I place a little sticky note under my keyboard. This could probably elimate both of these. Thanks.

Jamie May 23, 2014 at 9:16 am

I swear and live by OneNote! I am trying to get the word out throughout the company on how great this program can be! I keep track of all my projects, e-mails, general notes, pictures, documents, links – you name it – OneNote can store it and the search feature is AMAZING! You can find anything right at your fingertips.

Mike Ryan May 22, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I am documenting the web structure and HTML code from my website – refreshing all content and OneNote is perfect for retaining the headings and menu structure. Doesn’t add extra characters that mess up your code too.
Perfect! http://www.brassrazoo.com.au

Gordon May 22, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I used to use OneNote and found it invaluable. I have since migrated to Evernote and for my needs (mainly capturing thoughts, sharing them, and finding/referencing them later, as well as capturing web info on the go). Someone did a nice review and comparison on the two not long ago:

One comment summarizes the difference well:

Evernote is like the Swiss army knife of note-taking tools. Take quick notes, take longer notes, capture web pages, scan to Evernote, manage your tasks GTD-style, automate your notes with IFTTT and other apps, and more.
OneNote is like your college three-subject notebook (or a similar yet much more customizable version). You can do most of what you can in Evernote in OneNote, but with the freedom to arrange it differently, however you want.

KR May 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

While I don’t use OneNote for everything, I do find it usefull to keep scraps of information that I know I will need later. I have separate notebooks for several different aspects of my job. For instance, I keep one for MS Office tips, another for procedural processes.
I acknowledge that I do not use most of the features, I mainly use it as a quick scrapbook to paste items in. However, I do add things by various methods: Printing to OneNote, copy and paste, add from Outlook emails.

Yvonne Westover May 22, 2014 at 4:41 pm

In an effort to go “paperless” I now use OneNote for all of our Board of Director meeting packets. These packets include minutes, financials, calendar, CEO monthly report and presentations. Handouts are scanned into the proper month. I am doing the same for our Executive Leadership Team weekly meeting packets and have created a notebook for useful information, such as our GL codes for coding invoices, phone numbers and important people for each of our clinics. I love OneNote.

Michele May 22, 2014 at 4:30 pm

My work group uses OneNote as a knowledge management tool. Each person has populated pages with information about what they do and how they do it, including internal and external links, ordering information, step-by-step instructions and more. We find it very useful. The goal is to have the information available so any one of us could take care of something if the “owner” of it is not available or leaves the organization. Multiple people can be working in it at one time, so that’s an advantage. It’s searchable and saves automatically. The initial load of information can be burdensome, but worth it in the end.

debra barrow May 22, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I use it to keep all the informaiton together for various meetings. I can link the email inf, what I have done, need to do etc.all together in one place
I have also used it to organize travel arrangments – flight info, hotel, meetings that are planned, etc.

Jackiel May 22, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I use OneNote for password lists (OneNote can be password protected). I started using it because my computer screen was covered with sticky notes of stuff I needed to remember for specific tasks and such. Now if it goes on a sticky note I can add it to OneNote. If you have any kind of lists OneNote is great for that.

On a personal note, I’m creating a “cookbook” in OneNote so I can put all my favorite recipes in it.

I don’t think I could live without my OneNote now that I use it. (Been using OneNote for about 6-7 years now).

Sharon S. May 22, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I use OneNote every day with my laptop computer. Because you can “print” to OneNote, I’ve created a “Receipts” tab into which I have “folders” for each one of my online bill and or shopping receipts. When a website produces the option of “printing” a receipt, I send the “print” straight to OneNote. All Web prints I now send to OneNote.

You can also record audio/video using OneNote. When I attend a business meeting and have my laptop in tow, I will open a blank page in OneNote, hit the record button, and take notes in outline form while OneNote records the entire meeting (note: meeting participants know that the meeting is being recorded). At any critical point in the discussion, you can make a notation in OneNote on your outline and then later, click on that point in the outline to hear that portion of the recording. Ingenious.

You can also assign tasks in OneNote, say at that same meeting, attendees were given specific assignments, you can email the outline that contains the tasks to all of the participants after sharing the OneNote page. As participants check off completed tasks, those changes can be seen by all of the participants.

I encourage you to look for a tutorial. I love the product.

Anne May 22, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I use OneNote for everything. Personal and work related. Every note, to do list and even my documents are in onenote. It is my organized junk drawer for everything electronic.

Karen Dinger May 22, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I have found One Note super helpful. A virtual notebook that saves automatically. Also one place to find what you need, without searching through emails… I am a big fan