Q. Can we require employees to use direct deposit?
A. It depends entirely upon where your employees are located. In Indiana, employers are free to require direct deposit. (Note, however, that an employer may not withhold pay merely because an employee has not yet set up a direct deposit account.) Other states (Illinois, for example) prohibit this practice. Therefore, if your company does business in several states, check with your employment attorney to determine the laws that apply in each location.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- NLRB tries to get to 'yes'
- Schools, get out your calendars: Teachers have up to three years to sue
- Retaliation: Don't sweat link between complaint and firing, if you would have fired anyway
- Court: Employers don't have to display NLRB union poster