Q. Can we require employees to use direct deposit?
A. It depends entirely upon where your employees are located. In Indiana, employers are free to require direct deposit. (Note, however, that an employer may not withhold pay merely because an employee has not yet set up a direct deposit account.) Other states (Illinois, for example) prohibit this practice. Therefore, if your company does business in several states, check with your employment attorney to determine the laws that apply in each location.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Don't silence or punish workers who compare their pay
- EEOC: Texas awards grew in 2009, even as complaints fell
- Top brass not listening? Scare 'em straight with true stories
- 2006 Farmingdale noose incident subject of new discrimination suit