Q. Can we require employees to use direct deposit?
A. It depends entirely upon where your employees are located. In Indiana, employers are free to require direct deposit. (Note, however, that an employer may not withhold pay merely because an employee has not yet set up a direct deposit account.) Other states (Illinois, for example) prohibit this practice. Therefore, if your company does business in several states, check with your employment attorney to determine the laws that apply in each location.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Must employees receive a warning before termination?
- Ensure workers understand waivers before signing
- Defend against retaliation claims: Good records can stop whistle-blower complaints
- The clock is ticking: Note exact date employee learned of termination decision