Q. Can we require employees to use direct deposit?
A. It depends entirely upon where your employees are located. In Indiana, employers are free to require direct deposit. (Note, however, that an employer may not withhold pay merely because an employee has not yet set up a direct deposit account.) Other states (Illinois, for example) prohibit this practice. Therefore, if your company does business in several states, check with your employment attorney to determine the laws that apply in each location.
- Faster union elections on the way following NLRB action
- Can worker 'plead the Fifth' in an HR investigation?
- Disabled worker can't do OT: Can we lay her off?
- With eye toward defending disability lawsuit, track medical condition before termination
- You don't need to accept disabled employee's preferred accommodation—just a reasonable one