Q. Can we require employees to use direct deposit?
A. It depends entirely upon where your employees are located. In Indiana, employers are free to require direct deposit. (Note, however, that an employer may not withhold pay merely because an employee has not yet set up a direct deposit account.) Other states (Illinois, for example) prohibit this practice. Therefore, if your company does business in several states, check with your employment attorney to determine the laws that apply in each location.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Consider trespass suit if union steps over line
- Trucking firm pays $262,000 to settle labor charges
- Minor adjustments: How to comply with federal teen labor rules
- Offer alternatives to reporting discrimination straight up the 'chain of command'