North Dakota-based Strad Oilfield Services will pay $65,000 in damages to resolve a disability discrimination charge filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). An investigation by the EEOC revealed that Strad fired an employee shortly after it learned of his diabetes, ignoring the fact that the employee was still able to perform the job according to a fitness-for-duty test.
The lesson: Diabetes is a covered condition under the ADA.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When harassment escalates despite warnings and second chances, it's time to terminate
- Suit: Marion mining company snubs female applicants
- Complaint alleges shocking bias at General Electric
- Can we privately settle a race bias case that may be heading for the EEOC?