North Dakota-based Strad Oilfield Services will pay $65,000 in damages to resolve a disability discrimination charge filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). An investigation by the EEOC revealed that Strad fired an employee shortly after it learned of his diabetes, ignoring the fact that the employee was still able to perform the job according to a fitness-for-duty test.
The lesson: Diabetes is a covered condition under the ADA.
- California Supreme Court: 'Mixed-motive' applies in FEHA cases
- Text messages and employee privacy: The Supreme Court weighs in
- Does North Carolina law protect workplace interracial relationships? Federal court punts
- Jury delivers $2.1 million verdict to UPS
- Does the FMLA cover intermittent leave for in vitro fertilization?