North Dakota-based Strad Oilfield Services will pay $65,000 in damages to resolve a disability discrimination charge filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). An investigation by the EEOC revealed that Strad fired an employee shortly after it learned of his diabetes, ignoring the fact that the employee was still able to perform the job according to a fitness-for-duty test.
The lesson: Diabetes is a covered condition under the ADA.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Medical device manufacturer faces religious bias suit
- No employee handbook or written policy? Good luck proving you take harassment seriously
- Harassing Our Vets at Work: Unpatriotic for Sure, But Is It Illegal?
- Make managers aware of potential personal liability