North Dakota-based Strad Oilfield Services will pay $65,000 in damages to resolve a disability discrimination charge filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). An investigation by the EEOC revealed that Strad fired an employee shortly after it learned of his diabetes, ignoring the fact that the employee was still able to perform the job according to a fitness-for-duty test.
The lesson: Diabetes is a covered condition under the ADA.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- N.Y.-Based grocery chain to pay $40,000 discrimination settlement
- Ensure harassment victim knows you want her to stay
- Consider hidden costs before cutting retiree benefits
- Age difference of six years or less destroys employee's age-bias claim.