North Dakota-based Strad Oilfield Services will pay $65,000 in damages to resolve a disability discrimination charge filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). An investigation by the EEOC revealed that Strad fired an employee shortly after it learned of his diabetes, ignoring the fact that the employee was still able to perform the job according to a fitness-for-duty test.
The lesson: Diabetes is a covered condition under the ADA.
- After Supreme Court decision, what you must do to prevent retaliation
- Know the law governing background criminal and credit checks
- N.J. judge takes dim view of banning 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'
- Have a progressive-discipline system? Great! But reserve right to fire immediately if necessary
- Don't tell supervisors to expect subordinate bigotry