Five pivotal decisions determine a leader’s journey. They prevent “stuckness” and keep everything moving forward.
“The measure of success,” says former Secretary of State John Foster Dulles, “is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with but whether it is the same problem you had last year.” The five points:
1. A launching decision marks your commitment to master skills above and beyond the job at hand.
2. The turning point comes when you act on an important opportunity that sets you on a new path.
3. The decision that brings you to a tipping point, involving risk, breaks barriers.
4. Recommitment sharpens your focus and moves the goal posts farther out.
5. Letting go keepssustainable and eases the transition for new leaders.
— Adapted from Pivot Points: Five Decisions Every Successful Leader Must Make, Julia Tang Peters, Wiley.