Graduation season is upon us, and this year graduates can expect to find improving job prospects.
A new study from CareerBuilder and CareerRookie.com finds that 57% of employers say they plan to hire new college graduates. That’s up from 53% last year and significantly higher than the 44% of employers that said they planned to hire from the class of 2010.
While most employers believe recent college graduates are ready for the real world, nearly one in four (24%) don’t feel academic institutions are adequately preparing students for positions needed within their organizations.
The problem, according to 53% of those polled: Colleges and universities put too much emphasis on book learning instead of real-world skills.
Top 5 in-demand majors
As in years past, demand for business and technical majors remains high. The most sought-after majors this year include:
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Help trim health costs by reviewing claims error data
- Already decided who to hire? OK to refuse more applications
- Even if offer is for 'at-will' job, beware making promises you're not prepared to keep
- Guide gathers resources on employing disabled workers: Download it now