Q. It’s come to our attention that a former employee of ours has not updated her LinkedIn profile after her termination 10 months ago for insubordination. Would we have a cause of action against her?
A. It’s possible, but you would probably have to show that you were damaged as a result of her failure to update her profile.
It may be more worthwhile to contact LinkedIn and ask it to enforce its user terms and conditions regarding truthful representations. Also, you might consider adding a provision to any employee severance agreement that the employee agrees to update his or her LinkedIn profile within a certain period of time after termination.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Hand-helds, laptops and 'friending': Managing the new culture clash
- You must follow no-Fault absenteeism policy to the letter
- Hotel staff learns about better service by mixing drinks
- It's up to you to ensure your employees are retirement-ready