Q. It’s come to our attention that a former employee of ours has not updated her LinkedIn profile after her termination 10 months ago for insubordination. Would we have a cause of action against her?
A. It’s possible, but you would probably have to show that you were damaged as a result of her failure to update her profile.
It may be more worthwhile to contact LinkedIn and ask it to enforce its user terms and conditions regarding truthful representations. Also, you might consider adding a provision to any employee severance agreement that the employee agrees to update his or her LinkedIn profile within a certain period of time after termination.
- Following baseless complaint, ensure later discipline is legit
- Stressed for success? Most, least stressful jobs
- EEOC sues Safelite Glass for sexual harassment
- Changing an employee's duties may require changing his FLSA classification
- Make sure you can authenticate e-signatures on applications and arbitration agreements