Q. We’re drowning in paper and would like to go paperless. Can we create strictly electronic personnel and payroll records? — T.P., Indiana
A. The short answer is yes, you generally can maintain employment-related documents electronically. However, as with paper files, employers must take all appropriate steps to keep certain electronic documents (such as medical records) confidential and separate from the employees’ personnel files.
- Under Texas law, do fired employees have a legal right to see their personnel files?
- Must you provide employees with printed copies of annual reviews?
- Existing attendance policy ignored? Start enforcing rules now
- 11,000 join ranks of federal teleworkers
- How to close the door on invasion-of-privacy lawsuits