On March 21 the IRS released the 2013 IRS Data Book, a summary of agency activities for the last fiscal year. (IRS News Release IR-2014-34) Here are some highlights:
- The IRS collected almost $2.9 trillion in federal revenue and processed 240 million returns.
- Out of the 146 million individual income tax returns filed, almost 83% were e-filed.
- More than 118 million individual filers received a tax refund, totaling almost $312.8 billion.
- The IRS examined less than 1% of all tax returns filed and about 1% of all individual income tax returns.
- Of the 1.4 million individual tax returns examined, over 39,000 resulted in additional refunds.
View an electronic version of the 2013 Data Book at the IRS website.