Do you struggle to write professional social media biographies? Trying to fit who you are in a summary is hard to do, but with these tips from Courtney Seiter you’ll be on your way to writing the perfect professional bio.
- Add action verbs. When writing a bio, focus less on “I am” statements and more on “I do” statements. Adding action verbs to your profile shows you don’t just talk the talk—you walk the talk, too.
- Get specific. Don’t try to please everyone by being too general. Instead, focus on highlighting your specific areas of expertise. Those areas of expertise are your keywords, so use them in all your social media bios.
- Say what you have to offer. Your readers need to know what’s in it for them. Position your bios to communicate the value you bring to the table.
- Avoid buzzwords and cliches. Buzzwords are the words you hear over and over in bios. Examples include responsible, strategic, creative and effective. Don’t parrot the words of your peers, use words that feel fresh and genuine.
- Let them know what you’re really like. Explain your passion, tell your story and make your bio stand out in some special way by having a bit of your personality come through.
- Update often. As your skills and experiences evolve, so should your bio. Check back often to see whether your bio is up to speed with your skills and accomplishments.
— Adapted from “How to Write a Professional Bio For Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook & Google+,” Courtney Seiter, Buffer.