Q. Can part-time employees be salaried? — JMDG, New Jersey
A. Yes, under the Fair Labor Standards Act, part-timers can be paid a salary and considered exempt from overtime. Of course, it is unusual for part-timers to work enough hours to earn overtime. However, if the job duties allow him to be classified as overtime-exempt, there’s certainly no problem with working part time.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Suspect medical excuse is bogus? Ask employee for a (real) doctor's note
- Survey: Health law won't spark mass cancellations
- Offering new employee higher pay than incumbent of opposite sex? Document why
- Slumping auto market puts salespeople out of commission