A waitress, who suffers from dwarfism, saw her hours reduced and was fired after she repeatedly requested that her serving shelf be lowered back to where her former manager put it. The new manager said the lower shelf posed a safety risk. The EEOC filed an Americans with Disabilities Act lawsuit on her behalf.
The lesson: The lower shelf will likely seem reasonable to a jury if the case gets that far.
- Worried about ADA: Can we discipline for misbehavior caused by medical condition?
- Beware of disability-rights law during job interviews
- Waitresses win $5.7 million in age discrimination case
- Phillies vs. Mets: At least this time, home fan disappointed
- Statewide anti-gay bias bill introduced in Legislature