It’s difficult enough moving into a new HR job. But replacing an HR director that did a poor job is especially tough.
Poor HRleads to low morale, and executives, no doubt, have learned to marginalize HR.
Use the following guidelines to take initial steps to restore confidence in HR, win over management and allow you to gradually make changes:
Meet with the HR staff. Explain your goals and objectives, and tell why they are important for the department and organization. Follow this up with one-on-one meetings.
During the meetings, ask questions like:
- How do employees perceive HR?
- How does management view HR?
- Which HR activities have worked best for the organization, and which haven’t worked so well?
- Has HR used metrics to evaluate?
- What suggestions do you have to improve HR services and programs?
Listen to responses without disagreement or negative reactions. Ask questions when necessary.
Meet with executive...(register to read more)