A good succession plan ensures that your workforce is prepared to meet your organization’s future challenges.
Make these measures part of your succession planning process:
- Preparation. Ensure current job descriptions are up-to-date. Define key positions on which organizational success depends. Have employees complete career-planning assessments.
- Identifying high-potential employees. Ask execs to name the subordinates who do their current jobs well and show the most promise for taking on new roles.
- Preparing a development plan. Have top identify development concerns that will affect the company in the future.
- Providing development opportunities. Design skill-building techniques, job rotation and cross-training opportunities to develop employee skills.
- Evaluation. As the plan takes hold, continually evaluate participants to learn if development opportunities have improved skills and job performance.