Federal contractors must now pay workers at least $10.10 per hour. President Obama on Feb. 12 signed an executive order implementing the change, which becomes effective in 2015. It’s unclear how many employees will get a pay raise as a result of the order.
One 2013 survey by the National Employment Law Project found that 74% of service employees working for federal contractors earn less than $10 per hour.
- IRS extends tax-free benefits to all same-sex married couples
- Let it snow! But make sure you know how to pay employees
- If exempt employee fields calls or emails on a sick day, is it still a sick day?
- Single act of disobedience doesn't always rule out unemployment compensation
- Minimum wages to rise in 10 states in 2012