What’s the best way to track those minutes, hours and days?

Question: "I need to start breaking down my time to show my boss exactly how much I spend doing the 30-40 different tasks I perform in a week. Is there a software tool that people prefer to make this easy, or is doing it by hand really the simplest way to go?" - Marion, Laboratory Professional

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/37881/whats-the-best-way-to-track-those-minutes-hours-and-days "

Jennifer Mark April 7, 2014 at 9:40 am

Different approaches has been inclined in different industries in keeping track of the hours, minutes and day. Like wise the tool that we practically use in terms of keeping track of hours is the cloud based hours tracking tool from Replicon – http://www.replicon.com/olp/hours-tracking-software.aspx that specifically been designed in making the hours tracked and helps manage a significant approach in managing the time and get organized.

Laura February 17, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I like what I am seeing at Yast.com. Thanks so much for posting this! I have new responsibilities that I need to track the time on for a client and expect this to be very helpful.

Ruth February 13, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I use a free ap that’s available through Google Chrome – Yast. You set up a list of your projects and tasks and then simply hit the stop and start button on the project as you go through the day. The free version allows you to run basic reports that show the time you spent on projects by day, week, month, year, or by a set of self-selected dates.

Barbara February 12, 2014 at 10:55 am

This question came at a perfect time!! I am in the process of breaking down my workload. I like the ideal of Microsoft Journal and I will be looking at that this afternoon. Keep the suggestions coming.

JoAnn Paules February 10, 2014 at 8:35 am

Chances are you already have what you need – Microsoft Outlook. The Journal feature is built in and waiting for you to use it.

SK February 7, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I started doing this a few months ago because I asked my boss if he knew what I did all day and he said he didn’t. As an admin, all days are different (which is why I like the job).
I have used an Excel spreadsheet. Date on the top line. Increments of half-hours down the left side in the first column. In the second column I add my jobs and color-code the font for each activity like payroll, schedule meetings, attend meetings, letters, Minutes, answer email, etc.
In the third column I have the color-code listed.
That way I can go back and, by color, see what I do and when. I only do this on random days. I find I’m so busy, I often don’t have time to keep up with it.
I’ve been trying this for a few months now and only have six days that I had time to fill in. I have a 1:1 with my boss this afternoon, so I’ll probably show it to him today.
Let me know if anyone knows an easier way.

Eliza February 6, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I’m not aware of a software tool that is out there to accomplish this but you can easily build a template based on your position description. Capture the areas that are your job duties, then bullet a list of what you do under each of those categories. I often use outlook calendar to schedule work so then I can go back and see a block of time where I worked on that specific thing. Once you get a decent template designed, you can easily fill in areas and time spent on the various tasks you outlined. In my experience, when the boss asks for this, they’re looking for ‘overall’ time spent and most likely not counting minutes which gives you a bit more flexability in how you structure the template.

Cathy February 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Marion, If you use a DayMinder-type book that breaks time into 15-minute increments (which is what I use), I think that’s the easiest way to keep track of your time each day. There’s also a TASK option or Calendar in Outlook which you might like.

Chardel February 6, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I don’t know of any, but when you get an answer, I’d like to use it too as I need to do this. Thanks