Using buzzwords to sound smart can leave you looking ridiculous, says Mike Periu, Economic Education, who offers five to nix.
- Pivot. Don’t confuse pivoting with changing your mind.
- Results-oriented. Being results-oriented is a given, so don’t say it.
- Ideation. Ideation is just a made-up word for brainstorming.
- Growth hacker. A growth hack is a unconventional means for revenue generation. Normal growth techniques aren’t growth hacks—know the difference.
- Synergy. This word describes an interaction between elements that bring about a greater result than if the elements were separate. Be careful about using this word in case the opposite ends up true.
— Adapted from “9 Buzzwords That Can Make You Sound Dumb,” Mike Periu, American Express OPEN Forum.