When you need an answer fast, can instant messaging be beat?

Question: "I have been trying to get other admins to use instant messaging for basic communication instead of phone and email. It is an easy way to contact managers and others even while they are in meetings. What are the benefits of using something like Lync instant messaging for the office?" - Mary Lou

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/37731/when-you-need-an-answer-fast-can-instant-messaging-be-beat "

Mary Lou January 29, 2014 at 5:47 pm

The thing is getting the other admins. in our area to use it. No we do not need to know why they were away from their desk, just that they are and when they return. Timing is everything….

Bob January 29, 2014 at 11:12 am

One thing you have to watch out for is that IMs can seem kind of intrusive and they put a person on the spot to respond immediately. If you keep asking that of someone, it can become irritating.

Mary Lou January 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Thank you for the reminder.
The purpose is to be able to know if someone is available or could schedule date/time for meetings, coverage of phones, etc.
Since, I cover for a DVP’s admin and cannot physically see if she or other admin. in the department are at their desks, IM seems a good way to know availability. It is also a good way to get a message to a manager, etc. while they may be in a meeting and need to know being cautious not to abuse.

Kelly January 23, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I love Lync! For me and and a select few it is an amazing time saver. I have another location where the people do not sit in front of the computer, but if they hear the alert I have an instant answer to my question. I only wish I could talk my field guys and management into using it. Our main form of communication is texting and to me using Lync is much easier.

Tommye January 23, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I agree with Chris and Gretchen! We had Lync at our office and it was great to ‘stalk’ and see if someone was at their desk before wasting time walking to their office or calling them. If you were working on a project, you could use the DND, just like your phone. We were able to use the screen share with multiple people not in our location. We were able to cede control to others and then take it back as needed. We are now on Google Chrome; not as great, or maybe I just need more experience with it. I miss the Lync!

Kim January 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm

We use Lync and it’s great since I have team members in 3 different states. It’s easy to keep up with who’s at their desk and when they’re not. It works well for short / quick questions but be careful that more in-depth things are still better with a phone call.

Gretchen January 23, 2014 at 5:28 pm

We use Lync at my company and couldn’t live without it. It’s an amazing time saver. I can communicate with anyone who’s online (unless they switch to do not disturb). No need to leave voicemails or send emails for simple questions and getting quicker response time.

Dee January 23, 2014 at 4:39 pm

We currently use the Cisco WebEx Connection for Instant Messaging. We have left it up to each employee if they want to use it or not but the key players have it and it is so helpful. It tells you if they are on the phone, in a meeting or available. Highly recommend.

Chris January 23, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I have worked with instant messaging. Not only was it a fast way to get answers it also let you know if the person was at their desk so you didn’t waste time looking for them. I loved it and wished I could have it in my current position.