The EEOC has filed suit against Smithfield-based Guy C. Lee Building Materials, alleging the company refused to hire a boom truck operator because of his age.
The plaintiff, 53-year-old Andrew Moore, applied to the company’s Morehead City facility. Moore says he qualified for the position, but the company continued its search and hired a less qualified 25-year-old two months later.
The lawsuit seeks about $13,000 in back pay and other damages.
Advice: The federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) protects workers age 40 or older from discrimination. Stay on the right side of the ADEA by making sure your company’s hiring and promotion practices are “age blind.”
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- You can set 'no rehire' policy for workers fired for misconduct
- The key is consistency: Make sure similar infractions are subject to similar punishment
- CareerBuilder employees compete to come up with next big idea
- Publix sexual harassment reporting policy holds up in court