• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

New employee, old debt: Is pay-back of previous Section 127 benefits taxable?

by on
in Office Management,Payroll Management

Q: A new employee must now pay back money she received from her old employer as a Section 127 educational benefit. We will assume this debt as part of our hiring agreement. The hiring manager said that since this was originally a tax-free benefit, nothing is taxable. This doesn’t sound right to me. Who’s correct?

A: The hiring manager is wrong. You’re assuming an employee’s personal debt, which has nothing to do with Section 127 educational benefits. You can consider it a sign-on bonus.

If you don’t want to withhold taxes (and pay the employer’s share of FICA), you’ll have to gross up the payment.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/37718/new-employee-old-debt-is-pay-back-of-previous-section-127-benefits-taxable "

Leave a Comment