Did you just inherit a mess of a document with hard breaks all over the place? Did you know that you can just do a find/replace to get rid of them? Try this!
- First click the Show/Hide button in the Paragraph group on the Home tab to turn it on. This will make all those breaks visible.
- Press Ctrl+H or if you’re using 2010-13, and click the Replace button in the Editing group. Alternatively, you can click on the Find button and then Advanced Find.
- Click the More button and then the Special button at the bottom. Here you’ll find all the special characters, such as section, column and page breaks.
- Choosing each one will reveal the special character code that you can just type in next time. For example, ^m is hard page break.
- Click on the Replace tab at the top and click the Replace or Replace All button.
Now, you can put those breaks where you want them!