Afraid of falling too far behind in the tech race? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Afraid of falling too far behind in the tech race?

Question: "It seems like every new hire at my company has been naturally raised with all the new technologies out there, while I have to really set aside time to concentrate on learning them (and sometimes it just doesn't happen!). Does anyone else share my fear that everyone younger than me has more general tech savvy, and that as the years go on, I just won't be able to keep up with what they know?" - Gail, Assistant to the CFO

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Linda January 17, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I’m 62 years old and I love technology. I love learning new programs and even taught myself to program. In a department of 35 people, I am the go-to person when it comes to technology. The young ones have plenty of questions. I find they aren’t that detailed in knowing new technology. Most of it is superficial. I’m always looking for ways to make our processes easier using technology. It’s like anything else, you have to keep up with the changes. It helps when you find it enjoyable though.

Karen January 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Generally, younger people may be more comfortable with technology; however, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re more knowledgeable. I agree with Linda: if you enjoy it, learning it comes a lot more easily.

JoAnn Paules January 17, 2014 at 6:44 am

The stone cold fact is that if you don’t invest the time to learn new technology used by your company, you may well find yourself out of a job. And then you will be competing with those same young’uns who were posting selfies in utero or tweeting their birth.

And a note to Robyn, pivot tables are awesome and not all that difficult. Get someone to help you learn them. :-)

Joyce January 16, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Yes and no. I learn whatever I have to in order to do my job, and don’t hesitate to ask someone “how did you..?” I’ve found that new isn’t always better; and the younger tech savvy ones coming in have a lot lacking outside of what they know about technology. Most people who are counseled are usually not for their lack of hard skills (e.g., technology), it’s their soft skills (work ethic, attitude, ability to think and work with others). I feel my soft skills are solid enough and I can learn the other stuff if not on my own, use by “people skills” to get someone to assist me to work it through. Just stay calm, breath, and do your best to continue to grow.

Eliza January 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I can see your concern on this but I would argue that having real life experience and wisdom is something that new person does not have and can’t really get from a class. Anyone can take a course or receive instruction on technological tools and their uses. But you can’t teach savvy, instincts and institutional knowledge. You have to earn that by being in the profession long enough. I bet the younger, tech savvy folks lament they don’t have what you already posess!

Sandra Midkiff January 16, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I fully understand your fear. I work for a young man that could be my son. He is very tech smart and thinks I am very archaic. SM

Robyn January 16, 2014 at 4:32 pm

I do as well. And I know that I’ve lost employment opportunities because I’m not the most ‘tech savvy’ person in the world. As what my job entails goes more and more toward spreadsheets/databases and all that goes with that (I don’t understand pivot tables as an example) I become more and more fearful of how I’m going to keep up…..

Cheryl January 16, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Yes – I have the same fear. I love new technology – but the older I get, the longer it takes me to keep up with it! And I hate spending money on new technology if the old (my old cell etc.) is doing the job for me!