“Do you have any health problems?” That was one question a Connecticut grocery store asked on its job applications. The store also asked applicants in interviews whether they had any health/physical problems; whether they were on any medications; and if so, which medications.
Such questions are disability-related and violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission won a $25,000 settlement in the case.
- Drug testing after a workplace accident
- Hiring independent contractor? Be prepared to document that he's not an employee
- Boosting productivity makes you a true strategic player
- Prepare for lawsuit if you change hiring criteria in middle of selection process
- 5 things you should change in your employee handbook